Our July Client Highlight is Cape Strategy. A business dedicated to helping other businesses thrive through software automation and workflow solutions. We had the opportunity to sit down with Heather Baldic, Owner of Cape Strategy, and ask her about her business journey - how she got started and what keeps her going. Check out our interview with her below!
1. What career did you have before starting Cape Strategy? I operated an international student tour company from 2005 – 2015. During the time I wasn’t in the office, I was exploring Europe and the UK, meeting with teachers and schools, and researching destinations. This is where I discovered my love of travel. My time in the office was spent researching itineraries, consulting with clients, booking airlines, hotels, busses, and tickets, and facilitating daily operations. A common daily challenge was not having a software system in place to convert the information I was learning into a comprehensive systematic workflow. It was then my passion for software and learning started my journey into researching business automation software.
2. What inspired you to start Cape Strategy? Part of who I am and how I have always been guided is to look at technology as a way to make mundane tasks more efficient. When I was about 10, my grandfather gave us a used Commodore 128 computer from his company. It was there I learned the inside of a computer and developed a deep curiosity for the future of what this machine could do. Throughout the years, as the internet came to be, and new technologies and applications were developed, I constantly found myself spending (far too much) time researching the latest gadget or app.
My inspiration for starting Cape Strategy was a desire to make a living on my own terms, travel the world, and help other entrepreneurs get the most out of the business technology available. Once I aligned my skill set with my own 20+ years as a manager and business owner, Cape Strategy seemed like a no-brainer.
3. How long has Cape Strategy been in business? Since 2017. It took me a couple of years (as a side hustle) to fine tune my company message and research where opportunities might be available. During this time, I worked at a local high school helping students find internships and providing career counseling for the 21st Century.
4. What does Cape Strategy Offer? We offer Website Services including front end web design, lead pages, marketing funnel creations, content creation, domain management, and app integration services. Also, we can set up and help brand a company’s message, colors, fonts, and imagery with stock photography, or through a contracted brand photographer.) Some of our clients like to be really involved with messaging, so we help them create content for weekly blogs, social media posts, Facebook Ads, and more...
Other services include setting up other software programs for businesses for project management, task management, payment management, app management, and team management. Before setting up any new program, we like to take a look at our customers current processes to maximize efficiency.
5. Starting your own business can be scary, what words of wisdom would you give others who are thinking of doing the same? Keep Going. One of my biggest challenges has been to balance work and family while starting this company. I constantly had to reassure myself that even though it may take longer than I’d like to get up and running, I have to just keep working, do at least one thing every day to make the business grow. Whether that’s creating a content calendar, posting on social media, getting advice and listening to my networking groups... I had to stay positive that it will come together eventually. And it has... I couldn’t be happier.
6. What is your favorite part of your day-to-day? My days go by so fast, completely immersed in my projects. If I had to choose just one favorite part of the day, it would be in the morning. I pour myself a cup of hot coffee, I boot up my computers, prioritize my to-do list, and get going.
7. How do you balance running a business and family life? I sync all my calendars and share the ones I need with my family. Usually, on Sunday nights we will go over plans each of us has for the week, and if we need to prepare for anything. I have not yet perfected this, but am constantly trying to improve.
8. How do you stay motivated and centered as a small business owner yourself? Staying motivated is easy. My passion is to help my clients’ business succeed by growing their understanding and appreciation of technology in business. When I work with clients, I try to explain and train them as much as they are willing to learn. It keeps me motivated when I hear something along the lines of “wow that was so easy.” For me, that means they have opened more time in their calendar to focus on higher level business issues or spend more time doing what they love. I have to remind myself to take regular walks. It clears my head, keeps me centered, and always provides a rush of new ideas.